FatWeb – Best Web Design Company New Zealand – Is my site Believable?
With the proliferation of websites it is getting more and more difficult to separate out legitimate businesses from the fake! It is becoming almost cliché to say “I saw it online so it must be true” as a sarcasm for the legitimacy of much of what is seen online. It is difficult to estimate the total number of sites at any one time, there are over 7 million domains registered in New Zealand alone today.
So how do you believe everything you read online? A recent study conducted by the Guardian in the UK showed only 17% of people responded positively when asked “Which of the following institutions do you trust?” (Question 5).
What makes a website more believable? Here are 10 ideas we think build credibility.
- Show the expertise of your team and the individuals: Make sure you provide your credentials and your affiliations to credible organisations. Be very careful with any outside organisations you link to on your site. Make sure they are credible. You can be tarred with the same brush if they are not!
- Demonstrate that honest and trustworthy people stand behind your site: A great way to do this is through bios and tell a little about families, hobbies sports and community involvements. Use photos and Text to do this.
- Provide verification of the information on the site: Show third party testimonials and support, links to source material. Most won’t follow the links but just by putting them up you show confidence in your business!
- Show the organisation is real: Just show your address, a photo of your office or warehouse, listing your local memberships e.g. chamber of commerce. Carry your company branding throughout your site.
- Make sure your site is professional: People evaluate the visual design of a site, just as a good suit makes a lawyer look professional so a good website makes your business look the same. This is part of your companies branding, so pay attention to not only the layout and quality images but how your site is written.
- Be Contactable: If people can see where you are and how to contact you your credibility is significantly enhanced. “They have nothing to hide” don’t hide behind a PO Box, have a physical address,
- Easy to Use and Useful: Two for one here. If your site is easy for people to use and adds value to them you gain points. Forget your ego think of your customer and what they want to see and how they can use it.
- Update the content: When you go on a site and see the last news item was from 2 years ago what do your think? Maybe you click on to the next site as you think they are no longer in business!
- Be restrained with promotional content: Avoid ads for other people’s products. You look like you are selling out. Pop Ups not only annoy users but destroy credibility. Writing should be clear and direct. You are there to get them to buy your product or service. So make your call to action clear and any benefits believable.
- Be accurate and check the site: Nothing destroys credibility like badly written text or even worse spelling errors. Broken links and even your site being down for whatever reason will mean your prospect becomes your competitor’s customer. So take 5 minutes to check your site every day.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Call John on 09 9277373 or email email@example.com.
Check out FAT WEB Blog